Lostwithiel Museum Building 1890
-
Lostwithiel Museum 2006

MUSEUM ORIGINS

 In 1968 the Lostwithiel Old Cornwall Society had an idea to open a museum in the town. The members approached the Town Council & by 1970 it was agreed that the old jail & corn exchange would be made available.

On the 21st August 1971 Lostwithiel Museum was opened by the Earl & Countess Mount Edgcumbe whose ancestors had rebuilt the premises in 1740.

In 1985 it was suggested that the museum be registered with the Musums & Galleries Commission. To achieve this a separate Museum Committee was formed. By 1994 the museum received full registration as a charity from the Charity Commission.

In 2007 the museum was awarded full Accreditation, the first small museum to achieve such a status. Applying for Accreditation is a rigorous process which takes place every 3 yrs. To qualify museums must meet nationally agreed standards on how they are managed, for the services they offer & how they care for their collections. This valuable award gives the museum status & credibility, & opens doors when applying to certain organisations for grant-funding. There are more than 50 museums in Cornwall, of which 33 are now accredited.